March 30, 2011

I Was a Vegetarian…. For 5 Days

As stated in a recent post, I was going to go vegetarian for 21 days to follow a diet plan in a book I’m reviewing.

Well, I lasted 5 days. I was 110% dedicated to it and didn’t eat any kinds of meat, dairy and all the other stuff vegetarians strictly avoid. I used soy and almond milk with cereal and said no to all oils. Hell, I even tried tofu.

As I’ve mentioned on here before, I also cannot eat any gluten. I thought I could use this to my advantage because I am already quite good at saying no to certain foods/drinks. It did help with my willpower, but that is about it.

After the first day, I thought I maybe lost a pound.

After five days though, I decided to step back on the scale only to realize in utter horror I’d gained two pounds!



How does that happen? Sure, I know all about “weight fluctuation” but this was an extra two pounds on the highest it fluctuates normally. Plus, it was in the morning before I’d eaten a thing!

Apparently, being gluten-free and 100% vegetarian just does not work with my body. I gave up being a strict vegetarian right after that scale nightmare (which unfortunately was not a real nightmare I could wake up from).

For over 10 years I didn’t eat any kind of “red meat” and was pretty healthy doing so. I had dairy, chicken, turkey and seafood. I think I’m going to just go back to that. I don’t like red meats anyways so it really isn’t hard for me to skip.

I’m still quite irritated, annoyed, and well mad that doing something so “healthy” would cause me to actually gain weight. At least I didn’t stick with the whole 21 day plan I originally was going to do before realizing I was going the wrong way on the scale.

So, that is my recent diet horror. Do you have any to share?


Update: Since eating dairy and non-red meat again, I’ve lost the 2 lbs. Sure, it may not be a huge number to gain or lose, but enough of those 2 lbs really adds up!

6 comments:

Mel said...

Isn't it weird how supposedly healthier foods do that. I tried eating the "recommended" 4-5 daily fruits and vegetables and it ended up making me sick to my stomach and I think I was gaining more weight than losing as well. After that I decided to go back to my less healthy snacks - which ironically is "more" healthy for me. As, I cannot eat a lot of raw fresh fruits and veggies. I do better with cooked fruits and vegetables.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Maybe your body was craving the protein? Hmmm that's weird about gaining.

Kristina P. said...

I think all of our bodies are different and just need different things.

Jillene said...

I am not a red meat eater either nut it makes it difficult for my husband because he grew up on a farm and is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I honestly don't think I could go vegetarian. I love chicken, seafood and dairy way too much!!

The Random Years said...

Well that's really weird! But at least you gave it a shot, I've thought about it, but I can't so to meat.

Anonymous said...

I think you have to stick with what works with you. I could never be a vegetarian! I love meat way too much!